Following an increase in coronavirus cases in Luton, senior leaders and public health figures from the council have met with central government officials and agreed that gyms, pools, and other leisure facilities will not reopen as planned on 25 July.
Other local measures being taken include:
- further increasing testing capacity across the town (details will be available shortly)
- Keeping play areas closed
- increased enforcement against businesses that are not compliant with guidelines or that fail to show they are Covid-19 safe
- new guidance from the council’s Director of Public Health that people should not make social visits to other people’s homes
The council continues to urge residents to follow these guidelines:
- stay at home as much as possible
- if meeting up with others, do so outside
- don’t meet in large groups – people should not gather outside in groups greater than six individuals (unless they are from the same household)
- keep a 2 metre distance from people outside of your household at all times
- wash your hands regularly
- wear a face covering in all enclosed public spaces where it is difficult to keep 2 metres apart
- book at test at nhs.uk/coronavirus and self-isolate if you have any symptoms, however mild
The effectiveness of these measures will be continuously monitored and further steps may have to be taken if necessary.
Information about this story and the measures can be found on the Luton Council website HERE