The Galaxy is Luton town centre’s top entertainment and leisure venue – so, with many pubs, bars, restaurants and takeaways beginning to reopen again, Luton BID caught up with Bashir Dalvi, BID director and Galaxy Centre Manager to find out what’s changed…
“The Galaxy is different to retail centres – people come here for a specific reason, often to go to a certain eatery or venue. They don’t browse in the same way they do when shopping either and, as our building is circular, there is already lots of space to social distance without the need for a one-way system,” said Bashir.
“Up until now only Cookies & Cream has been open in The Galaxy with the new takeaway and delivery service they have been running throughout lockdown, but we have been working hard behind the scenes to adapt processes so that more businesses could reopen – and from Saturday The White Horse and Nando’s welcomed back customers too. With great success.”
Be safe – what is reopen in The Galaxy and how are they operating?
“Be safe has been a key message for The Galaxy as more of our resident businesses reopen, and we’ve been working with other town centre partners, including the BID and council on that message,” said Bashir.
“All of our tenants have had to adapt, and some have completely changed the way they operate which means we’ve had to adjust things like delivery entry points, cleaning measures and lots of other processes so that individual businesses can operate and maintain social distancing without impacting on each other or customers. The BID’s COVID-19 support packs for businesses have been really useful.
“The whole Galaxy team has been working to make sure our resident businesses survive. It’s been a real team effort – really inspiring. Government guidance means that not everyone can or has chosen to reopen yet, but they’re absolutely ready, totally COVID-19 safe and just waiting for the green light.”
Update on The Galaxy businesses:
- Cookies & Cream – OPEN: continuing the successful takeaway and delivery service which has run throughout lockdown
- Nando’s – OPEN: offering a brand new ‘Click & Collect’ takeaway service
- The White House, J D Wetherspoon – OPEN: screens are up at the bar area, a new ‘Order & Pay’ app is in use, hand sanitising gel is in easy access and lots more COVID-19 safe measures
- Subway – OPEN: now running a takeaway and delivery service
- Cineworld – NOT OPEN: ready to reopen at the end of July
- The Gym Luton – NOT OPEN: measures in place and ready for reopening when the government advises
- Kidd ‘n’ Play – NOT OPEN: measures in place and ready for reopening when the government advises.
- Tenpin – NOT OPEN: measures in place and ready for reopening when the government advises.
For more information on Luton Together and COVID-19 measures in Luton town centre visit: https://lutonbid.org/coronavirus-updates/